Saturday 9 February 2013

Lightning crashes

This summer in South Africa I've found myself caught up in a couple of earth-moving thunderstorms that really rocked my world. When your skin is tingling, the hair all over your body stands on end and you can actually feel the electricity in the air, you're either in love... or lightening just struck dangerously close!

All alone in a tent in the African bush, you realize how tiny you are, as the forces of nature thrashes wildly around you. Storms I've previously experienced pales in comparison, I promise I'm not exaggerating!
 
It started out with wonderful flashes in the distance and the whole group couldn't help but wearily admire its beauty. As night closed in though, the electrical storm came ever closer. For a while I was sure there'd be a bush fire as lightening struck all around in the bush... but then came the rain! A miniature river formed across the wooden floor of my safari tent and I saved most of my things by moving them onto higher ground (the cupboard).

In awe I listened to the thunder, counted the seconds and waited for the inevitable... Four times lightening struck close enough to effect me (as well as the generator) physically and afterwards it was like having a presence hovering in the room. I don't know how I managed, but I actually fell asleep in between the worst strikes, in spite of the severe tension! An hour and a half later, the storm finally passed... and I basically passed out, exhausted and a bit nauseous.

/A

No comments:

Post a Comment