Sunday 20 October 2013

Highveld flight

Back in  Gauteng, after a week in the lowveld, I was unexpectedly invited to go flying with my friend's daughter, Cassandra. She is allowed to bring two passengers with her in the four-seated Cessna. I gladly accepted and at eight o'clock the next morning, we left for the airport.
After the safety controls had been carried out, we swiftly took to the skies. Ascending we were informed that there were no barf bags on board, but as I was to excited, I didn't really pay that piece of information much interest at this point.
 
We soon passed by the skyline of Pretoria and shortly thereafter, Cullinan diamond mine, which is where the largest gem stone quality diamond in the world (Star of Africa, 621 g) was discovered, in 1905.
Heading eastward, the ride soon started to get rather bumpy and I was glad I wasn't the only passenger, as that would have made me the dedicated map reader. I was amazed that Cassandra's colleague, Craig, didn't seem to be showing any signs of motion sickness at all, though he had an eye on the map during the whole flight. Meanwhile I was starting to get a bit worried about the no barf bag-situation and concentrating really hard not to have to use the cooler bag instead...
In spite of my predicament I enjoyed the views of fields, rivers and mountains rushing by, but was glad when Wonderboom airport yet again came into view. Afterwards, our pilot confessed to having been affected by the bumpiness as well this day, something which definitely made me feel a little better... as did some home baked treats and half a litre of water.
 
/A



No comments:

Post a Comment