Thursday 23 January 2014

Wildside moments

On the second tour this season, I was back with my new-found love; Entabeni. This time the weavers were going crazy building their nests at the Wildside camp. These chatty little guys, as well as the amorous tree agamas and warthogs, were common sightings in camp and thoroughly enjoyed by the Norwegian guests.
A sighting I won't forget is probably one of the more unusual animals to be called in over the radio on a game drive... a frog! Not just any frog though, but a bull frog, the largest species in southern Africa. It was my first encounter with this enormous amphibian and one that really made my day.
Elephants are always a joy to encounter and sometimes their playfulness really remind me of dogs interacting with each other. I never get tired of them!
However, the elephants weren't the only creatures to be monkeying around...
Another important ingredient to this trip was the weather. The thunderstorm one night killed the generator and we periodically had to manage without electricity and water. I had saved up a few litres in bottles and kettles however and so wasn't suffering too badly... I even managed to “shower” after being out running!
A few of the game drives were even cut short because of the sudden burst of the clouds. Other times the violent fury of Thor stopped as suddenly as it had began and we were treated to fantastic sunsets. 

/A

No comments:

Post a Comment